Saturday, April 01, 2006

Compulsive Behavior

No, it's not a LITTLE WOMEN kick, so much as it is my compulsion to read books "in order." You know the one. It forces me to read the first book in the series first, no matter what. So I had to go back to the source (LITTLE WOMEN) before I read the off-shoot (MARCH).

What it's really about is looking at an old familiar story (which I thought LITTLE WOMEN was, but about which I was proven totally wrong once I listened to it and realized I'd never persevered through the whole book) from a new point of view. Or the idea that an author can invent a whole new story from scraps in another. That's why I liked THE RED TENT, WICKED, GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING, LADY AND THE UNICORN, MISTS OF AVALON. These all give a different perspective, or a different back story to the more commonly known story. Lots of reading branches off into different directions, while this kind of reading seems to be a layering of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.