Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cultural Literacy

Another summer of classic movies (CAPA's 38th season) at the Ohio Theater is almost over.

Slowly but surely I am attempting to make up for a lifetime of movie illiteracy. Once, and sometimes twice a week all summer, we go downtown to the gorgeous old Ohio Theater, hear live organ music on the Mighty Morton Theatre Organ (it raises and lowers near the orchestra pit and organist Clark Wilson performs with several silent films each season) and fill some of the gaps in my out-of-school education.

This summer we have seen
"North By Northwest" with Carey Grant,
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart,
"Dr. No" with Sean Connery,
Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope" with Jimmy Stewart,
"12 Angry Men" with Henry Fonda,
and in a couple of weeks, this summer's education will end with
"Charade" with Carey Grant

It was interesting to see "Dr. No" in the same summer as "The Bourne Supremacy" (dvd) and "The Bourne Ultimatum." In my mind, James Bond doesn't hold a candle to Jason Bourne.

My other movie this summer was "The Simpsons Movie." Not sure where that fits in the big picture of cultural literacy, but having seen it will probably get me brownie points with my students!

2 comments:

  1. Charade is one of my all time favorites! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Alfred Hitchcock movies...I have wanted to go downtown and enjoy these classics. I may have to surprise my husband and take him to Charade!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.