Thursday, January 10, 2008

Movie Thursday

Let's curl up on my new couch and watch some movies, okay?

I rented a couch once, when I lived in Dallas.

There have been no other couches in my life since then.

All the thousands of great books I've read in the past half-a-lifetime, and none of them read curled up on the end of a couch.

Well, that's all changing now. The first thing I did yesterday after it was delivered was grab the next book on my to-read list, The Garden of Eve, Beth's recommendation, cover up with a throw, make room for the cat, and read!

Now, the videos. First, coming from The Reading Zone, a thoughtful piece from a Kansas State University Introduction to Cultural Anthropology class about student learning in the 21st Century. The focus is college students, but there is lots of truth here about ALL of our students...and the disconnect between the ways we teach, the materials we use, and their lives outside of school.



Next, from Megan Germano, arguably the world's greatest Barbara O'Connor fan, and also from Barbara's blog, the book trailer for Barbara's spring release, Greetings from Nowhere.

4 comments:

  1. I liked that Kansas video too. Wasn't it interesting? And a great way to present the facts. I am seriously considering showing my kids. (Just for the creativity of it all)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Gosh. How did you get through life without a couch? Congratulations! I wish you many lazy days curled up on it reading a book.

    I showed this video at the beginning of last semester to get my students thinking about how to capture these trends in their teaching.

    Thanks for sharing all this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that picture your very own couch? If it is--WE HAVE THE SAME ONE! and very comfy it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I never have seen a book trailer. Perhaps I shouldn't be admitting it. Anyways they are very cool. I didn't really get it until after it was over....I think it has been a long day.

    And congrats on the couch. I have been thinking about buying a double wide chair for a few years now. I know which one I want even.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.