Monday, April 21, 2008

NCTE

I just got back from Washington D.C. As part of the Executive Committee, I have 4 meetings a year. This trip included meetings as well as participating in NCTE's Advocacy Day. It was a great few days. I thought you'd all be interested in the updates and info from NCTE.

This is my 2nd year participating in Advocacy Day. This year, I was able to meet with a few people in my senator's offices. We had great conversations about some of the issues we are facing in literacy education. NCTE has declared April as Advocacy Month. Their website is full of lots of things that we, as teachers, can do to support what we know is right for kids. One page that I find especially helpful is this one on NCTE's position statements on certain things that Congress is dealing with.

If you keep up with the NCTE Inbox Blog, there is a great post about why it is important that as teachers, we write to Congress.

On another note, NCTE recently released a thoughtful statement on 21st Century Literacy--Toward a Definition of 21st-Century Literacies. Lots of people in the literacy and tech worlds have responded to the thinking, including this post by Karl Fisch. This is a focus for NCTE this year and is evident in the 2008 Conference theme: Because Shift Happens: Teaching in the Twenty-First Century as well as other events. NCTE will be sponsoring a summer institute on the topic in Indianapolis. The speakers and program look great so far!

4 comments:

  1. "Because Shift Happens"

    I love that more than words can say! So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to ask you about your trip and had a load of questions for you but your post answers so many of them...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with ML on this -- great title!!
    I love that you are a big part of NCTE, and then are willing to share the wealth of knowledge you have. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:34 PM

    I think that the NCTE Inbox is a great source. I am glad to know that someone else thinks so as well!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.