Thursday, January 29, 2009

2 New Picture Books



I didn't even have to read THE ODD EGG by Emily Gravett or THE GREAT PAPER CAPER by Oliver Jeffers when Beth showed them to me at Cover to Cover this week. I love both authors so much that I knew that I would want the books. So I bought them and read them when I got home. And I was not disappointed!

THE ODD EGG by Emily Gravett is a cute story of about lots of birds who have eggs. And Duck, who does not. But he finds an egg and waits anxiously for it to hatch. Gravett's illustrations are fun and the expressions on the animals' faces are worth a close look. There are some partial size pages that adds to the fun of the book. And of course there is a fun surprise at the end. A simple story with text that young children can tackle on their own. And of course, lots of Gravett's humor that makes this a book adults won't tire of. So glad I picked it up!

THE GREAT PAPER CAPER by Oliver Jeffers is the second book that I picked up. This book is a mystery of sorts. Tree branches are disappearing in the forest and the animals investigate. The language of a mystery (alibi, culprit, suspects) are used throughout which add to the fun. The clues come together for a happy ending. Jeffers great story, humor and unique art style combine to make this a great book to add to the library. Fun for all ages, I think!

4 comments:

  1. Will you be too jealous if I tell you I heard Emily Gravett read ODD EGG at the roundtable session at NCTE in November?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ouch. i am certainly jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO WAY! You just made my freakin' day. I LOVE Gravett. Didn't realize she had a new title. Thanks for the info!

    (Oh, and I love Oliver Jeffers, too. But I already knew about the book. Must try to find both of them NOW.)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.