Monday, May 23, 2011

A BALL FOR DAISY by Chris Raschka

A Ball for Daisy

I love wordless picture books. No matter what grade I teach, the possibilities of wordless picture books is endless. Kids of every age enjoy them and they provide so many teaching opportunities. So, I am always so happy when I find a new one that I love. Over the last few years, I've purchased a lot of good wordless books but there are only a few that I have fallen in love with.  A BALL FOR DAISY by Chris Raschka is a new one that I love!

This is a simple story. I think that is part of what I love about it. It is the story of a dog and her favorite toy-a big red ball.Clearly, she loves the ball. But when she goes to share the ball, she loses his favorite toy and is so sad.  But she is a loved dog and is comforted in her loss by her owner, a little girl.  Daisy gets a  a happy ending, as well as a new friend.

Looking back at this book, I think what I love most about Chris Raschka's illustrations are the ways that he captures the dog's feelings. They are brilliant illustrations that tell so much of the story to the reader.  You cannot help but feel what the dog feels throughout the story--all the ups and downs.

I so love this book.  LOVE IT!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear about it; thank you for sharing! I LOVE wordless picture books--good ones. Ones that touch me or move me in some way, so I'm going to check one out!

    Some of my top fave wordless picture books: Tuesday by David Weisner; The Umbrella by Ingrid & Dieter Schubert; The Red Book by Barbara Lehman. Do you like those ones, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our small Canadian city has experienced an explosion of immigrant families in the past five years from many parts of the world. Wordless picture books offer an opportunity for them to 'read' and share stories in their own languges with their peers, their teachers and their EAs. And there are so many other ways that they spark interest with all readers. Thanks so much for sharing this new one. I think Chris Raschka has an uncanny ability to get to the heart of children and their pets.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.