Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Grass Is Persistent



For the second half of National Poetry Month 2017, 
Malvina will Sing It, and I'll write a poem in response.


One of the strongest unifying topics in Malvina Reynolds' songs is politics and protest. The next few days will feature songs written in the 1960's and 1970's, but which are fresh and topical today.





Grass Is

People want to tame me or
Eradicate me. They underestimate my
Root
Structure and my
Indomitable
Spirit. I am
Tenacious. I
Exist
Not to please, but to break concrete and spread
Truth.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2017


2 comments:

  1. Break concrete and spread truth. I love the glimpses you've provided of this powerful woman. Love these words from the song - "...for the grass is living and the stone is dead."

    ReplyDelete
  2. "spread truth" is what many are doing, and I am thankful. It's a pretty song with dark undertones, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.