Sunday, April 30, 2017

This World



For the second half of National Poetry Month 2017, 
Malvina will Sing It, and I'll write a poem in response.






What Scientists Know That We All Should Remember

This world values diversity
over singularity

adaptation
over stasis

the many
over the few

balance 
over imbalance.


©Mary Lee Hahn, 2017




I saved this song for last because, as you can hear, it is simultaneously a goodbye song and a love song to the world. The world she sings about in this song is the natural world, but it is also the world of humanity. 

Malvina loved this world (these worlds) enough to fight for all she found to be right and true, using her musical and writing talents. Her name needs to be added to our list of women heroes who 

Persist (like Elizabeth) 
Inspire (like Malala)
Speak (like Maya)
Influence (like Sonia)
Defy (like Rosa)
Fight (like Hillary)
Empower (like Gloria)
Focus (like Michelle)
Rule (like Ruth)
Sing (like Malvina)

My poem today was doubly inspired by a month spent with Malvina and the book I'm currently listening to, The Triumph of Seeds: How Grains, Nuts, Kernels, Pulses, and Pips Conquered the Plant Kingdom and Shaped Human History by Thor Hanson. My wish for the future of the human race would be that we could come to know about ourselves the things that scientists know about life in general on this planet. Maybe if we could build our human society to be in tune with the scientific principles of life, we could keep the whole planet alive.

4 comments:

  1. I love each part, "balance over imbalance", well done! Love hearing Malvina's song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:44 AM

    "Maybe if we could build our human society to be in tune with the scientific principles of life, we could keep the whole planet alive." Well said, Mary Lee! Every time I see a flash mob video and see everyone smiling, I think, that's it. The world just needs to sing more often! Thank you for sharing Malvina with us this month!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed this exploration of Malvina's songs--thank you for introducing her to me through poetry & music. Keep us posted on this becoming a book; I think Sing it, Malvina! makes for a good title : ) I do hope this becomes a book that comes with a c.d. of her music and you reading your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance over imbalance, yes! Thanks for taking us on a journey with a new hero, Malvina. Will you be writing a book about her? I think you should. Just read Lisa's idea...yes! with a CD.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.